of St John's
Any history of St. John's, Drumnaguoile
must include the history of Gaelic games in Drumaroad
and Clanvaraghan. The G.A.A. came early to the area
and the news paper "Sport" carried reports of games
of Gaelic football between Clanvaraghan Harps and
Belfast teams as far back as 1891-92. Clanvaraghan
was again fielding teams in the 1917-1918 period.
The first football club officially
registered as Drurnnaquoile was formed in 1924 and
they brought the parish its only Senior Football Championship
title in 1929. Emigration took its toll and the club
folded in 1934. It was re-formed in 1958 and had modest
success, winning promotion to Senior "B" League in
In 1964 a football club was formed
in Drumaroad which was competing in Intermediate League
In November 1977 the two clubs came
together and as St. John's G.F.C. won promotion to
Division 3, having annexed the East Down League title
on the way. By 1892 they were in Division II A.C.L.
In 1939 a hurling club was formed
in Clanvaraghan which took the Junior Championship
in 1941 but disbanded in 1945. In 1974 Drumanquoile
hurling club was formed and reached the J.F.C. Final
in 1981 and 1984; in 1986 this club amalgamated with
the football club under St. John's banner, camogic
followed a similar pattern. By 1986 all Gaelic games
in the parish, football, hurling and carnogie, were
administered by one club, St. John's.
In 1984-85 the club organised a massive
draw with £70,000 in prizes and set a deadline for
a succession of other clubs and organisations to follow.
With the proceeds the club has developed its own pitch,
Paire Naoimh Eoin, and a magnificent social club complex.